At Starcross Primary School, we aim to ensure that all children, regardless of need or barrier, leave Starcross with the skills of an early Artist.
We provide an Art and Design Curriculum that builds on a child’s early creative experiences whilst enabling them to express themselves in a practical and inspiring way. Through learning about a wide range of Art and Crafts, from various cultures, we hope to not only develop the children’s passion and love of the subject but also build a respect, natural inquisitiveness and an appreciation of art in all its forms which they may carry with them throughout their lives. Art and Design stimulates imagination and creativity; involving children in a range of visual, tactile and sensory experiences, which enable them to communicate what they see, think and feel in a range of ways, regardless of their ability. Art and Design, at Starcross Primary School, promotes careful observation and an appreciation of the world around us. Through learning about the roles and functions of art, children can explore the impact it has had on contemporary life and on different periods and cultures. The aims of teaching Art and Design in our school are:
- To expertly learn how to use a sketchbook, in order to develop skills and ideas throughout every process of art undertaken.
- To engage, inspire and challenge pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design.
- As pupils progress through school, they should begin to think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of art and design. They should also know how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.
- To produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences.
- To become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques.
- To evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design.
- To know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms. At Starcross Primary school, we aim to provide an Art and Design Curriculum which develops learning and results in pupils knowing more, remembering more and understanding how the knowledge and skills can be applied in their own art work.